The athletics department mission is to represent East Carolina University with distinction and create a challenging and supportive environment for student-athletes to excel in the classroom, in competition, and in life. We are committed to the highest standards of character, honesty, effort, and sportsmanship; respecting all people, their personal identities, differences and beliefs; and to provide a safe and equitable environment for student-athletes’ academic, athletic and personal development. The highly visible athletics program is committed to NCAA compliance, comprehensive excellence and to be trustworthy stewards of the aspirations of our student-athletes, the resources we manage, the reputation of our University, and our mission of service. The strength & conditioning department oversees and maintains the conditioning and strength training for the athletes participating in ECU Athletics’ sports.
The primary and most important responsibility of a coach is instructing student-athletes. Reporting to the Director of Strength & Conditioning, the individual serving in this position is responsible for, but not limited to, the following duties with the approval of the Director of Strength & Conditioning:
- Works primarily with Men’s Basketball and an additional sport
- Comprehensive strength and conditioning program design for student-athletes as assigned by the Director of Strength and Conditioning.
- Detailed instruction and education to execute all training exercises safely and correctly specific to performance enhancement methods to achieve desired results.
- Testing and evaluation of student-athletes to effectively monitor desired training outcomes.
- Strategic scheduling for effective and efficient use of athletics facilities by teams.
- Support recommendations as set forth by athletics department designated registered dietitian for good nutrition and supplementation for the health and performance of the student athletes.
- Promote commitment, teamwork and develop a working relationship, establish rapport with, and ensure open lines of communication with the coaching staffs, student-athletes of all teams and athletic training staff.
- Build quality relationships and work collaboratively and professionally with Pirate Club, athletics, and University staff, students, business vendors and all donors and stakeholders.
- Abide by all written policies and procedures of ECU, the Department of Athletics, The Educational Foundation (Pirate Club), the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), and all applicable conferences or associations
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Strength & Conditioning
- Nights, weekends, holidays, extended hours, and travel are required in the performance of duties.
Minimum of two years of permanent, full-time experience as a strength and conditioning coach at the collegiate level is required.
Bachelor’s degree in exercise science or a related field is required.
Certification through the CSCCA or NSCA is required.
SCCC or CSCS are required.
CPR and First Aid certifications are required.
Qualifying degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions and conferred by the time of hire.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
Basketball and movement preferred skill and knowledge
How to Apply
East Carolina University, founded in 1907, is a public university and a member of the UNC system serving over 29,000 students. ECU is a progressive doctoral-granting institution with the feel of a small college. Programs are offered through the College of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School, and the Schools of Allied Health Sciences, Art, Business, Education, Health and Human Performance, Human Environmental Sciences, Industry and Technology, Medicine, Music, Nursing, and Social Work. Its 392-acre main campus and 46-acre medical campus are located in Greenville, NC.
Please mention that you heard about this position through the National Job Finder Service located at