Student Wellness and Facilities Services provides programs, education, resources, and facilities that promote life-long behaviors for a healthier, happier, and successful life. The department includes a broad scope of responsibility for academic SWELL Classes, Facilities Services, Intramurals, Extramurals, Operations, and Outdoors Unlimited. The Assistant Director of Student Wellness and Facilities Services provides primary support and assistance to the Director of Student Wellness and Facilities Services in fulfilling this stewardship. This position has responsibility for Student Wellness programming, department budgets, chairs the Student Wellness Advisory Council, oversees Student Wellness (SWELL) course offerings, SWELL instructor and partner site contracts, ongoing Wellness programming and assessment, C-Cure facility access, and staff training and development. The Coordinator of Student Wellness and Extramural Programs, Manager of BYU Outdoors Unlimited, SWELL Program Administrator, and Student Wellness Office Manager report to the Assistant Director.
- Assist and Support with Administration of Student Wellness Program (55%)
- Oversee major aspects of Student Wellness outreach to campus through ongoing programs and activities
- Supervise full-time coordinator, and part-time staff responsible for Student Wellness programming and activities
- Provide direction for Student Wellness in-person and online informational resources, social media presence, branding, marketing
- Responsible for the assessment and evaluation of Student Wellness programs and activities on a regular basis
- Oversee all SWELL course offerings and learning outcomes, ensuring compliance with academic standards and requirements
- Supervise part-time staff responsible for SWELL course management (pedagogy, registration, classroom scheduling, instructor hiring, curriculum, testing, equipment, offsite providers, liability waivers, policies, etc.)
- Provide direction for new SWELL course development, enrollment targets, course fees, instructor training, etc.
- Responsible for the assessment and evaluation of SWELL courses, learning outcomes, and instructors on a regular basis
- Establish and chair the Student Wellness Advisory Council to regularly consult with various campus stakeholders and integrate existing student services with a wellness focus
- Promote the mission of the Student Wellness program and the physical, social, spiritual, intellectual, financial, environmental, emotional, and career dimensions of student well-being across campus and at major events such as New Student Orientation, Foundations of Leadership Conference, International Student Orientation, etc.
- Conduct research and student surveys to gauge student interest, understanding, and benefit as Student Wellness participants
- Manage Student Wellness program budget and monitor monthly revenue and expenditure reports
- Maintain current knowledge of Student Wellness literature and student wellness trends and issues
- Responsible for regular department training and team professional development opportunities (i.e., workshops, retreat planning, etc.)
- Attend conferences and workshops for professional associations related to Student Wellness
2. Assist and Support Administration of Facilities Services Operations (30%)
- Oversee team and program use of indoor and outdoor recreational facilities allocated to Student Wellness at BYU West Campus
- Manage C-Cure access and ID Access systems for facilities use privileges in the RB, SFH, IPF, TCB
- Track and maintain Access requests and generate facility usage reports on a regular basis
- Manage building directional signage, door schedules, and designated promotional boards and display cases
- Provide direction and policy oversight to Information Desk staff for the scheduling of courts and equipment
- Oversee system for processing financial transactions at the Information Desk (typically between a $100 to $20,000 per day)
- Assist in establishing priorities and identifying funding sources for building remodeling and repair projects
- Manage Facilities Services budget and monitor monthly revenue and expenditure reports
- Hiring, training, evaluating, disciplining, and terminating employees (staff and students).
- Review and establish appropriate policies and procedures for administering recreational facilities.
- Maintain and enforce policies and standards of Campus Life and the university.
- Resolve day-to-day operational problems and issues
- Coordinate facility use and design projects with various departments
- Ensure facilities are clean, safe and well-maintained at all times
- Assist with submitting requests for service and work orders to Physical Facilities
- Coordinate event set-up arrangements with building Custodial staff
3. Oversee Outdoor Recreational Services and Programming (15%)
- Oversee outdoor recreational services and programs delivered through BYU Outdoors Unlimited and solidify as student wellness resource
- Supervise the Manager for Outdoors Unlimited who is responsible for retail operations, products, services, finances, staff, and programs
- Provide direction to help advance student wellness activities through outdoor programmatic elements
- Ensure proper budget accountability and support marketing strategies and financial practices that promote profitability
- Mentor and support OU manager in expanding student wellness mindset, identity, and professional abilities
Minimum education/experience required:
Bachelor’s degree in Recreation Management & Youth Leadership, Leisure Services Management, Facilities Management, Business Management, Student Affairs, or other related field or equivalent.
Master’s degree in Recreation Management & Youth Leadership, Leisure Services Management, Facilities Management, Business Management, Student Affairs, or other related field. Experience with wellness programming and resources, students in higher education, facility administration, general business with budgeting and financial management.
Skills, abilities, knowledge, licenses, certifications:
- Knowledge of University Policies and Procedures – required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills – required
- Knowledge of budgeting and accounting – required
- Experience with facilities management – preferred
- Knowledge of Student Wellness Program dimensions – required
- Genuine interest in and affinity for students and the student wellness experience – required
- Commitment to Campus Life organization and principles at BYU– required
- Ability to maintain highest level of professionalism at all times– required
- Ability to communicate effectively and resolve problems in face of difficult patrons or sensitive situations – required
- Ability to collaborate with all entities on campus who serve students– required
- Operate with confidentiality, diplomacy, and good judgement– required
- Understand university policies and procedures, FERPA requirements– preferred
- Scheduling of facilities and navigating university financial (cash handling, budget) and hiring/payroll systems– preferred
- Knowledge of student wellness research, best practices, dimensions– preferred
How to Apply
Desired Start Date: 10/26/2020
Job Close Date: 09/28/2020
The mission of Brigham Young University--founded, supported, and guided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--is to assist individuals in their quest for perfection and eternal life. That assistance should provide a period of intensive learning in a stimulating setting where a commitment to excellence is expected and the full realization of human potential is pursued.
Please mention that you heard about this position through the National Job Finder Service located at