Reporting to the Associate Director for Wellness, this position supervises three full-time professionals as well as temporary employees, student employees, and interns across all URW facilities. The primary responsibility of this position is directing and providing administrative oversight for the comprehensive Fitness and Wellness programs for the department. The Director of Fitness & Wellness has multiple responsibilities, including: overseeing development and implementation; providing long and short-term strategic planning; budgeting and fiscal management of the Wellness and Fitness program unit; providing risk management for unit programming; assessing and evaluating programs and services, developing marketing and promotion efforts; developing adaptive programming and providing leadership for and management of the unit. The Director of Fitness & Wellness supports the University wellness and well-being initiative efforts through coordination and collaboration with campus partners such as Boynton Health, Student Counseling Services and the Office of Human Resources. Efforts are to support physical, mental and emotional well-being and serve as a resource for students, faculty and staff on the Minneapolis and St. Paul campuses. The incumbent will perform other duties as necessary for the advancement of the department, division and university.
Leadership and Administrative Responsibilities - 55%
- Direct the vision and philosophy of the fitness and wellness programs. Supervise the execution and operations of fitness programs through the oversight of staff responsible for managing group fitness, personal training, fitness testing and assessments; and wellness services such as physical therapy, massage therapy, and events.
- Assess and report performance of all fitness and wellness programs. Monitor statistical data and conduct operational reviews as it relates to achieving the overall mission, best practices, and objectives of the University and Recreation & Wellness.
- Lead assessment and evaluation of fitness and wellness programs, services, and operations. Develop and execute action plans based on assessment results to initiate improvements in operational effectiveness and efficiency, fiscal management, program and staff development, and delivery of fitness and wellness services.
- Review, develop and implement policies and procedures to effectively manage risk related to personal injury, property damage and financial loss; work within the department and other external units to identify, assess, respond to, monitor, control and minimize risk to the University. Serve on the Risk Management Committee and work towards providing a safe environment for the campus community.
- Initiates communications with marketing team to develop and implement strategies to communicate a broad, department-wide message that supports and encourages students, staff and faculty health and well-being.
- Direct programmatic oversight of the massage therapy program. Independently develop program / service offerings; supervision of staff; responsible for collaborating with other campus units for educational and promotional services; financial autonomy for budget development and revenue generation.
- Develop the department direction for adaptive and inclusive programming. Serve on the Adaptive Recreation Committee and lead and/or assist in the further advancement of programming and inclusion within the fitness programs, services and facilities.
- Responsible for chairing department-wide committees tasked with the development and execution of department initiatives, programming, and/or events.
Professional Supervision - 25%
- Responsible for direct supervision of the Personal Fitness & Wellness Manager, Group Fitness & Wellness Coordinator, and Fitness Coordinator; this team of direct reports manages of 120 fitness and wellness part-time student-staff.
- Direct oversight of the part-time massage therapists (current total 1.5 FTE)
- Conduct annual performance reviews and provide vision-based objectives that align with professional expectations and program goals.
- Encourage and support professional development; create a culture of personal growth and learning.
- Serve as department liaison for Physical Therapy and Health Coaching practicum within RecWell.
Budget Management - 15%
- Autonomously develop long-term strategies and short-term goals to maximize financial resources for the fitness and wellness program budget.
- Development and oversight of $4.2 million in capital equipment assets; lead the development and execution of a 10-year capital long-term equipment replacement plan for the Minneapolis and St. Paul facilities.
- Responsible for all capital purchases and processes within the fitness program.
- Independently manage an $800,000 operational budget; oversight of labor expenses, student professional development, including monthly reconciliation, and reporting.
- Responsible for reviewing and purchasing all non-capital fitness equipment and supplies to ensure service quality and safety.
- Ensure compliance of all financial activity according to University regulations.
University and Professional Service - 5%
- Represent the Department on committees as assigned. Attend Department meetings and workshops.
- Maintain membership in professional associations, serve on professional committees, and attend professional conferences.
Other duties as assigned
- BA/BS in kinesiology, recreation or a related field.
- 6 years of experience within the fitness or recreational field.
- Masters in kinesiology, recreation or a related field.
- Paid work experience in a campus recreation setting.
- Demonstrated experience in professional staff supervision
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Experience managing comprehensive budgets and making capital purchases
- Fitness certifications and/or experience instructing, training, or coaching.
- Demonstrated evidence of program growth and revenue generation
- Experience managing part-time / contract / professional staff
- Demonstrated evidence of creating and cultivating partnerships to produce collective outcomes, programs or services.
How to Apply
The University of Minnesota-Twin Cities is a classic Big Ten campus located in the heart of the Minneapolis-St.Paul metropolitan area. The University of Minnesota is one of the most comprehensive public universities in the United States and ranks among the most prestigious. It is both the state land-grant university, with a strong tradition of education and public service, and the state's primary research university, with faculty of national and international reputation.
Please mention that you heard about this position through the National Job Finder Service located at