Mason Recreation oversees three facilities on the Fairfax campus of George Mason University including the Recreation Athletic Complex (RAC), the Aquatic Fitness Center (AFC), and Skyline fitness center. These facilities boast four gymnasiums, racquetball/ squash courts, several locker rooms, fitness galleries and dedicated rooms for yoga, cycling, group exercise, and marital arts/ self-defense classes. We house and maintain a recreation and competition pool, sauna, whirlpool, and several exterior facilities including a pavilion, turf and grass fields, jogging/ walking trails, and a team challenge course on our Science and Technology Campus. We provide the following programs and services for the campus community: Fitness, Aquatics, Outdoor Adventures, Intramural Sports, Club Sports, the EDGE (team building programming), as well as a Summer Youth Camp.
Mason Recreation is seeking to hire two Coordinators for Facility Operations. One will work in the Aquatic and Fitness Center and one will work in the Recreation and Athletic Complex.
Reporting to the Assistant Director-Operations, the Coordinators for Facility Operations oversee the effective delivery of a comprehensive customer service program. Included within the scope of these positions is the supervision of the customer service assistants, special events staff, Manager on Duty and the front desk area. The incumbents are also responsible for customer support, scheduling, events, budget planning and execution, assessment, reconciling daily deposits and effective operations of the building. These positions are classified as “essential personnel.”
- Develop and implement an approved staffing plan for the Customer Service Assistants, Manager on Duty and Special Events Staff. Recruit, select, train, supervise, and evaluate staff in accordance with Department and University guidelines;
- Assimilate and disseminate a comprehensive body of information to employed staff to ensure effective team functioning, employee development and achievement of performance standards;
- Develop effective customer service policies which improve service levels. Ensure that effective delivery systems are in place to facilitate mission goals;
- Using the evaluation tools set forth by University Life assess customer service assistants, facility managers, and special events staff and provide regular feedback to staff;
- Provide leadership, mentoring, and training to all staff.
- Working with the department’s Risk Management staff, provide and maintain a safe and secure facility for customers and staff;
- Ensure efficient and effective building operations and maintenance schedules to provide the highest level of cleanliness and comfort to the customers and staff;
- Assist with the scheduling of recreation programs, intercollegiate athletics, student organizations and external groups;
- Develop and evaluate short and long-term planning strategies and policies related to facility and program development;
- Complete reports in a timely manner and with sufficient detail. Compose, compile, and present an annual report which summarizes accomplishments and challenges;
- Serve as building manager throughout the work day. Duties include responding to emergencies, customer concerns, equipment/supply needs, and janitorial oversights;
- Assist the Coordinator of Aquatics with pool operations as needed;
- Coordinate facility membership locker rentals and parking pass needs for all facilities;
- Coordinate the purchase of supplies; use charge card or the EVA system for purchase requisitions.
- Serve as the building liaison for events. Coordinate the set-up and break-down of events. Ensure needs are met with the event manager, vendors, and concessions. May also organize and administer certain events;
- Assists with maintaining, operating, and troubleshooting Colorado Timing equipment and Display Link Software.
- Oversee the point of sale and cash drawers, reconciling daily deposits, and allocate funds correctly;
- Prepare and monitor the annual budgets;
- Provide monthly reports to ensure adequate controls and efficient use of financial resources;
- Prepare and analyze daily reports, participation statistics, payroll, and all financial transactions maintaining accountability.
- Continue to develop professionally through membership and participation in applicable professional organizations and developmental workshops;
- Actively participate in the educational process of George Mason University students, faculty, and staff through their interaction with our programs and services.
The Coordinator for Facility Operations in the Aquatic and Fitness Center will provide the following Aquatics Program Support:
- Oversee the scheduling and administration of the Master’s Swim program. Provide assistance as needed to the Coordinator of Aquatics with private swim lessons and certification courses;
- Coordinates with the Coordinator of Aquatics organizing, managing, and administering all aquatic events.
The Coordinator for Facility Operations in the Recreation and Athletic Complex will provide the following Assessment Support:
- Coordinate and provide facilities-related assessment to improve quality of services and operational efficiency.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Management, Recreation, Athletic Administration, Physical Education, Business, Communications, or a related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience as demonstrated by graduate work or professional experience in a recreation, business, or athletic setting;
- Demonstrated experience in facility management and personnel management;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Must possess or be able to obtain a CPR/First Aid and AED certification within 3 months of employment.
- Masters’ Degree in Sports Management, Recreation, Athletic Administration, Physical Education, Business, Communications, or a related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience as demonstrated by graduate work or professional experience in a recreation, business, or athletic setting;
- Certified Pool Operator or Aquatic Facility Operator certification;
- Lifeguard Instructor certification.
How to Apply
Job Close Date - 06/21/2019
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
Please mention that you heard about this position through the National Job Finder Service located at