Oversees the operation and administration of the intramural sports and sport club, fitness and Wellness, and aquatics and outdoor programs, supervises three professional staff and three graduate assistants, and coordinates all inventories for Campus Recreation.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provides leadership and supervises all programs (Aquatics and Outdoor, Intramurals and Sport Clubs, and Fitness and Wellness) within Campus Recreation.
2. Manages entire inventory control for Campus Recreation including equipment to order, writing bid specification with the assistance from the appropriate area director, and inspecting and signing for all deliveries.
3. Assists the Director with budget development and budget management of all programs and special events within Campus Recreation.
4. Coordinates the student appeal/discipline, the scholarship, and the Graduate Assistant programs.
5. Develops and supervises the Central Staff on Duty (CSOD) responsibilities. Serves as the training officer for the CSOD program. Creates Central Staff on Duty (CSOD) calendar and manual and implements the schedule.
6. Serves as professional staff (between 8am – 5pm, weekdays and some weekends) on duty for overall management and supervision of all staff, programs, and facilities to
include opening and closing facilities and handling customer-related situations and emergencies
7. Performs other duties as assigned
Master’s degree (MA) from four-year college or university in Sports Management or related academic program with six years related experience and/or training in managing college recreation. A valid driver’s license is required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Strong planning and organization skills
Strong customer service skills, supervisory skills and excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Working knowledge of recreation programs and their management; working knowledge of the rules of a variety of sports; working knowledge of modern office and bookkeeping procedures.
First Aid Instructor
CPO (certified pool operator) or AFO (aquatic facility operator)
National Intramural Recreational Sports Association (NIRSA) active
How to Apply
Founded in 1910, The University of Southern Mississippi is a comprehensive doctoral and research-driven university with a proud history and an eye on the future. A dual-campus university, Southern Miss serves students on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, in addition to five teaching and research sites in Mississippi and through Online at Southern Miss. Since 2006, Southern Miss students have collected seven Goldwater Scholarships, three Truman Scholarships and 16 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships. Our Drapeau Center for Undergraduate Research affords our students meaningful research opportunities, and as a proven leader in innovation, we conduct transformative research that translates into real-world solutions. As one of only 36 institutions in the nation accredited in art, dance, music and theatre, we are a haven for creativity and artistic expression. In the classroom or lab, on the playing field, or in the performance hall, we strive to have a positive impact not only on our students, but also the world around us. Further information is found at www.usm.edu.
Please mention that you heard about this position through the National Job Finder Service located at