This position is responsible for the daily operation and supervision of the Reeves Aquatic Center including, but not limited to:
- Recruit, hire, train, schedule, supervise and evaluate all lifeguards and swim instructors. Provide monthly in-service training and staff meetings for staff.
- Maintain and ensure proper cleaning and preventative maintenance of pools. Work with University Facility Management to manage, supervise and document daily facility operations of Reeves Aquatic Center. Assist with a comprehensive evaluation of pool facility and the scheduling of the annual pool shutdown.
- Act as Manager on Duty for the entire Sports Center a minimum of two shifts a week (which may include evening hours).
- Assist with the equipment set up and staffing for all internal and external aquatic events like swim meets, camps, etc.
- Contribute to planning, promoting, implementing and evaluation of recreational events and activities to further the mission of Recreational Sports and Fitness.
- Oversee the risk management policies and procedures of the department. Work with others to continually review and update the department’s EAPs. Perform risk assessments, facilitate staff emergency preparedness audits. Maintain first aid supplies and accident report records.
- Purchase, inventory, and maintain pool equipment and supplies while assisting in the management of the pool budget.
Bachelor’s degree in Physical Education, Kinesiology, Recreation Administration, Sports Management or related field or equivalent in education, training and/or experience. At least 2 years of relevant work experience in a recreational aquatic facility. Previous supervisory experience. Good interpersonal and communication skills; The following certifications are required: American Red Cross in CPR, First Aid and Life Saving/Safety Training; Lifeguard Instructor (LGI); Certified Pool Operator (CPO).
Master’s degree preferred in Physical Education, Kinesiology, Recreation Administration, Sports Management or related field. The following certifications are preferred: Water Safety Instructor (WSI) and Aquatic Facility Operator (AFO).
Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
How to Apply
American University is a private liberal arts university in Washington DC with just over 7000 undergraduates and a total of close to 13,000 students including graduate schools and the law school. American University creates meaningful change in the world. With highly ranked schools and colleges and internationally recognized faculty, AU offers a balance between class time and career-advancing experience in Washington, D.C., and beyond. Its students, among the country’s most politically active, distinguish themselves for their service, leadership, and ability to rethink global and domestic challenges and opportunities.
Please mention that you heard about this position through the National Job Finder Service located at