The Program Director of Wellness will work in collaboration with the Associate Dean of Student Affairs and the Associate Dean of Graduate Medical Education to create a comprehensive undergraduate and graduate Wellness Program for UA COM-P. This will include developing an integrated longitudinal approach to medical student, resident, and physician well-being through the development and implementation of workshops, curriculum, programs, structure, committees, resources, and industry 'best practices'. The Program Director will work to develop standardized wellness practices for the College of Medicine - Phoenix and will work with leaders at Banner University Medical Center to improve departmental practices for improved medical student and resident well-being. This position seeks to improve student and resident resiliency to help prevent and/or minimize anxiety, depression, and burnout.
This position splits time between Banner University Medical Center and the College of Medicine - Phoenix. This position acts as a liaison for students, residents, directors, and administration to convey their ideas for Wellness. The Program Director helps convey and configure these recommendations to create beneficial outcomes.
This position will work closely with established UA COM-P Wellness Committees, departmental staff, academic departments, college administrators, faculty governance councils, and various clinical partners to create an innovative approach to student, resident, and physician well-being.
In addition to Wellness duties, the Program Director provides overall advisement of Medical Student Government and leadership training of Student Government leaders.
The University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix anchors the 28-acre Phoenix Biomedical Campus in the heart of the Valley of the Sun. The College inspires and trains individuals to become exemplary physicians, scientists and leaders who are life-long learners and inquisitive scholars. We embrace professionalism, innovation and collaboration to optimize health and health care for all. The Phoenix Biomedical Campus embodies the University's priorities of engagement, partnership, innovation, and synergy in its world-class academic and research initiatives, with clinical facilities throughout Greater Phoenix. The campus also houses the UA Colleges of Public Health, Pharmacy, and Nursing, as well as Northern Arizona University's College of Health and Human Services, the Translational Genomics Research Institute (TGen) and the International Genomics Consortium.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been listed by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers in the United States and WorldatWork and the Arizona Department of Health Services have recognized us for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocation services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop the Wellness Program(s) by providing personalized resources to each wellness population while building a longitudinal approach to student and resident well-being.
- Development Standard Operating Procedures for Wellness Program(s) for both undergraduate and graduate medical education for UA COM-P.
- Develop and implement strategies for sustaining wellness in anticipation of medical student and resident milestones and stressors.
- Plan educational events, workshops, and programs to decrease burnout and improve student and resident mental health including but not limited to New Student Orientation for the College of Medicine - Phoenix, GME wellness weeks, guest speakers and mentor programs.
- Integrate existing local and national resources in a central location through development and updating the wellness website.
- Evaluate and suggest institutional policies and protocols to mitigate stressors impacting student health and wellness, including but not limited to when and how to make appropriate referrals and maintaining confidentiality.
- Develop and deliver educational programs with a goal of increasing faculty and staff awareness and capability to recognize and help address/support student wellness needs, how to proactively recognize students/residents in distress, appropriately maintaining confidentiality and making notifications.
- Lead the evaluation of data trends necessary to build out and align wellness programs and interventions.
- Develop scholarly work through the presentation of findings and program development at national meetings and through publications.
- Lead efforts to minimize systematic/institutional conflicts that negatively impact student wellness.
- Increase awareness of mental health and personal care resources that are available to students and residents.
- Ensure compliance and complete documentation for LCME and ACGME accreditation requirements for Wellness.
- Along with the appointed GME faculty and student chairs, co-lead the GME and UME wellness committees at the COM-P.
- Participate on various committees/task forces to ensure student and resident Wellness perspectives are articulated when appropriate.
- Supervise, train, and evaluate Student Wellness Interns.
- Responsible for the oversight and training of Wellness Mentors and Programs
- Oversee and participate in planning, developing and administering both Wellness Programs' budget.
- Apply and seek out grant opportunities for the Wellness Program(s).
- Develop annual review of program outcomes, growth, and future goals to present to Dean(s) and committees.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Exhibit cultural competency, sensitivity and inclusive language and listening skills
- Ability to manage, lead, and articulate a vision for new initiatives or programs.
- Display outstanding event planning and management skills
- Ability to establish rapport with students, residents, groups, and colleagues
- Facilitate reflection/meaning making from practical leadership and organization skills to general people and professional skills suitable for a medical practitioner
- Facilitate problem solving, individual and organizational decision-making and goal setting.
- Demonstrate organizational dynamics and the role of effective organizations in the educational setting
- Exhibit well-developed administrative, organizational and budgetary skills
- Master's degree in counseling or a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND four (4) years progressive experience in the Wellness Programming; OR, Doctoral degree in higher education, student personnel or related field and (3) years.
- Experience with being a spokesperson and advocate for students.
- Seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in a related field including three (3) years of experience in management; OR, PhD in counseling, health education or related
- Medical School experience desired.
How to Apply
Review Begins On: 06/18/2018
About the University of Arizona As a public research university serving the diverse citizens of Arizona and beyond, the mission of the University of Arizona is to provide a comprehensive, high-quality education that engages our students in discovery through research and broad-based scholarship. We aim to empower our graduates to be leaders in solving complex societal problems. Whether in teaching, research, outreach or student engagement, access and quality are the defining attributes of the University of Arizona’s mission. Bold History that Fuels the Future It was a bold move in 1885 to start a university in the middle of the desert. UA faculty and students have been on the cutting edge ever since. Research that Improves the Human Condition From planetary science to medicine to the arts, UA research is changing the world. Being ranked #19 by the National Science Foundation doesn’t just make us great; it creates great opportunities for students. Our researchers teach. Students work alongside world-class professors to discover new knowledge and launch their own careers. Prestigious Faculty Nobel and Pulitzer Prize winners, members of esteemed national academies and world-renowned experts in dozens of disciplines, our faculty brings international attention to the University, and puts us in the ranks of the top public universities in the nation. Enviable Academics The UA is a diverse and talented community.
Please mention that you heard about this position through the National Job Finder Service located at