This position reports to the Director of Operations and is responsible for the design and administration of a comprehensive Fitness and Wellness Program, including the overall operations of the Kress Events Center weight room and cardio deck (Schreiber Foods Fitness Center). Program elements include, but are not limited to, Group Fitness classes, Personal Training programming, coordination of special events, competitions and educational workshops, and other fitness services (fitness assessments, nutritional counseling, wellness programs, etc.) to meet the needs of the student. The Fitness Coordinator will assist with budget planning, marketing, scheduling and programming for the Kress Events Center. This position will be involved with and support departmental strategic initiatives.
This position includes the following responsibilities:
- Oversee and coordinate the daily operations of Fitness Services including policy and procedure development and revision, equipment procurement, and equipment maintenance.
- Coordinate, administer and promote a comprehensive and diverse year round fitness program that includes but not limited to: a wide variety of group fitness classes, personal training, weight lifting, cardio, etc.
- Coordinate wellness programs, events and workshops.
- Design and implement comprehensive fitness instructor training program/course.
- Co-coordinate and instruct CPR, First-Aid and AED class offerings for Kress Events Center Staff as well as the supervision of the Kress Events Center Emergency Response Team and Red Shirt Review Drills.
- Evaluate and assess programs and services. Implement new and innovative programs and/or services to remain current with industry-wide trends while meeting the demands of students and other patrons.
- Enforce policies as necessary to resolve patron conflicts and issues.
- Recruit, hire, train, schedule, supervise and evaluate group exercise instructors, weight room attendants, personal trainers, and other fitness personnel.
- Create/maintain program operation manuals associated with employment of staff members.
- Oversee payroll functions of program staffing areas: maintaining adequate records, coordinating bi-weekly payroll processing, and determining salary increases.
- Monitor peer mentor training.
- Contribute to and provide on-going professional development and training opportunities for staff including conducting orientations, in-services, training sessions, and staff meetings.
- Regular ongoing meetings and communication with student program supervisors in their respective area to provide direction, guidance, and leadership development.
- Assist with marketing programs and collaborate with other Kress Events Center Staff to establish and coordinate campus-wide outreach events and program promotions.
- Create educational material for staff and patrons.
- Oversee development and management of incentive programs.
- Represent and collaborate with other university departments on behalf of the Kress Events Center to plan, organize and execute various health, wellness, fitness and resource fairs and events throughout the year as well as performing presentations when necessary.
- Assist in preparation of annual budget in conjunction with the Director of Operations for program area.
- Assist with fees and charges.
- Maintain records and prepare reports on facility equipment maintenance and usage.
- Maintain statistical records of participation in the fitness programs.
- Establish a vision for program growth and development through systematic strategic planning and the implementation of short and long-term goals.
- Implement, review and evaluate fitness operations to ensure that appropriate risk management precautions and emergency action protocols are in place, remain compliant and are followed.
- Represent Kress Events Center on campus committees as appropriate to the position (Wellness Committee, Healthy Choices Task Force, Campus Programmers Committee, etc.).
- Affiliate with professional organizations and local associations related to fitness, health, wellness and recreation.
To ensure consideration, please submit application materials by Sunday, December 3, 2017.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution in Fitness Management, Exercise Science, Exercise Physiology, Physical Education, Kinesiology, Recreation or related field at time of application.
- Demonstrated experience in fitness/wellness/recreational sports setting pertaining to the implementation and management of group exercise, personal training and wellness programs, as well as weight and cardiovascular areas
- Certification as a health fitness instructor, strength and conditioning specialist or personal trainer from a nationally recognized governing body including American Council on Exercise (ACE), American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA), or equivalent specialty certifications recognized in the fitness industry
- Supervisory and training experience
- CPR/First Aid/AED Instructor Certification or ability to obtain within six months of hire
- Experience in marketing and promotion of programs, budget experience, understanding of student development and experience with computers
- Instruction of classes within the program is required, having knowledge and instructional experience with a variety of fitness class formats. (e.g. Aqua, Bootcamp, High Intensity Interval Training, Pilates, Strength and Conditioning, Yoga, Zumba®, etc.)
- Ability to teach and lead with a philosophy placing a strong emphasis on student development
The successful candidate will have strong oral, written, interpersonal, and organizational skills, the ability to communicate with a diverse student population, demonstrated integrity and strong leadership, and the willingness to be part of a collaborative team. The University welcomes applicants who are dedicated to enriching the quality of life for students and the community by embracing the educational value of diversity, promoting environmental sustainability, encouraging engaged citizenship, and serving as an intellectual, cultural, and economic resource.
Please mention that you heard about this position through the National Job Finder Service located at