A thriving campus in the heart of Portland! As Oregon’s most affordable public research university, Portland State University (PSU) offers tremendous opportunity to 27,000 students from all backgrounds. Our mission to “let knowledge serve the city” reflects our dedication to finding innovative, sustainable solutions to local and global problems. Our location in the heart of one of America’s most dynamic cities gives our students unmatched access to career connections and an internationally acclaimed culture scene. We are the only Oregon university to offer a four-year degree guarantee.
Campus Rec Department
A healthy, happy, engaged Portland State community.
Campus Rec provides an inclusive environment where recreation and wellness opportunities inspire, empower and educate people to be positive contributors to the global community.
Community: Cultivate healthy and supportive relationships.
Inclusion: Create environments and experiences that support everyone’s right to participate.
Innovation: Achieve excellence in collegiate recreation through new and more effective methods.
Integrity: Operate with responsibility, honesty and transparency.
Sustainability: Champion sound social, environmental and economic practices.
Wellbeing: Promote the holistic success, safety and vitality of the Portland State community
The Aquatic and Safety Coordinator provides leadership, supervision, and strategic direction for the daily operations and programming of the Campus Recreation Aquatics Program as well as its Safety Program. This includes the supervision of organized and informal aquatics activities, supervision of a comprehensive safety response & training program for medical emergencies and water safety.
Additional responsibilities include: supervision of student employees, teaching or coordination of non-credit classes, pool maintenance needs as necessary and training American Red Cross certified instructors and lifeguards. This position reports to the Associate Director of Operations in Campus Recreation within the Division of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs (EMSA).
To ensure success, this position collaborates with all other staff members of Campus Recreation, especially the Associate Director of Programming. The Aquatics and Safety Coordinator is also an active member of EMSA and the Portland State Community, serving on committees and attending events.
• BA/BS from an accredited university and 3 years of related experience or master’s degree and 1 year of relevant professional experience in the operations of an Aquatics and Safety Program.
• Certifications and advanced skills associated:
• Must possess and maintain a valid certificate and authorization as an American Red Cross Life Guarding Instructor Trainer (or equivalent with ability and willingness to bridge to American Red Cross).
• Must possess and maintain a valid certificate and authorization as a Water Safety Instructor Trainer (or equivalent with ability and willingness to bridge to American Red Cross).
• Must hold, or acquire within the first 6 months of being hired, a Certified Pool/Spa Operator Certificate from the National Swimming Pool Foundation.
• Possess and maintain a valid certificate and authorization as an American Red Cross Life Guard and First Aid with CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer .
• Demonstrated experience supporting and enhancing an inclusive and culturally respectful environment.
• Ability to work varied hours including evenings and weekends.
• Attention to detail.
• Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
• Master’s Degree from an accredited university in Exercise Science, Physical/Health Education, Recreation, Student Affairs, or related field
• three or more year’s professional experience in the exemplary administration of an Aquatics & Safety program
• Experience in public setting, preferably at a university.
• Experience in supervising, advising or coordinating student leaders.
• Volunteer Engagement with NIRSA or similar organization.
How to Apply
Additional Salary Information: Review of resume packages will begin on 11/27/17. Position is open until finalists are identified. The starting annual salary rate for this position will be at or near $47,448, dependent upon qualifications and experience. Also includes an excellent benefits package including 95% premium paid healthcare; a generous retirement and vacation package; and reduced tuition rates for employee, spouse or dependent at any of the Oregon Public Universities.
Please mention that you heard about this position through the National Job Finder Service located at