This position exists to lead and guide the Recreational Sports Department and ensure that students have opportunities to engage and become involved in a well-rounded recreational sports program.
- Oversees the administration and organization of a comprehensive Recreational Sports program to include facility management, intramural and extramural sports, sport clubs, fitness and wellness program, special events, aquatics, outdoor recreation, and informal recreation.
- Administers, develops, and implements new programs and services, policies and procedures, and risk management for all areas.
- Prepares and manages departmental budget.
- Hires, trains, supervises, manages, and evaluates staff.
- Conducts strategic planning and assessment.
- Serves as the liaison with Kinesiology and Intercollegiate Athletics for use of facilities, policies, camps, construction issues, facility maintenance, and upgrades. Identifies and addresses other items related to the three programs that will impact each other.
- Creates, develops, and coordinates the planning and administration of facility operations.
- Serves on University committees including Rec Sports Committee (ex-officio), Intercollegiate Athletics Council (ex-officio) and others as assigned. Participates in special projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Higher Education, Recreational Sports, or closely related field
- Ten (10) years of related professional experience to include five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in a recreation setting, or facility renovation/construction projects.
- Additional education may be used as a substitution for the minimum experience requirement to include:
- Master’s degree and eight (8) years of related experience
- Doctoral degree and six (6) years of related experience.
- Supervisory experience
- Effective problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to oversee operations of a comprehensive recreational sports pro-gram to include program development & supervision; supervision of staff; administration of budget; strategic planning & assessment; risk management and facility operations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated effective problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook), assessments, and databases.
- Ability to work directly with and collaboratively with campus departments such as Intercollegiate Athletics and the Department of Health & Kinesiology and other campus departments.
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic, changing, and diverse environment.
- Master’s degree in Higher Education, Recreational Sports, or closely related field.
- Experience with increasing level of responsibility in a higher education setting.
- Experience with facility renovation/construction projects.
- Experience in collegiate recreation setting.
- Experience in the administration of at least one of the following areas: Facility Management & Operations, Sport Clubs, Intramurals, Fitness & Wellness, Aquatics, Outdoor Pursuits, or Informal Recreation.
- Commensurate with Experience
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
How to Apply
TAMU-CC is a vibrant, Hispanic Serving Doctoral Research Institution that combines a heritage of teaching excellence with innovation in research and community engagement. Discover the Island University, the only university in the nation located on its own island, at the heart of the Texas Gulf Coast. Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action / Veterans / Disability Employer.
Please mention that you heard about this position through the National Job Finder Service located at