This role is responsible for furthering the department’s strategic objectives in two critical areas: 1) develop and direct programs that improve the health and well-being of students and the U-M community, and 2) develop and direct programs that increase revenue opportunities for the department. One of the primary impacts of this role will be positioning Recreational Sports as a major player in health and well-being both on and off-campus. This role will serve on assigned committees to represent the Department and support all Recreational Sports Department initiatives as needed.
Program Oversight (50%):
- Ensure Recreational Sports is providing high quality personal training services that meet the diverse needs on campus and provide an inclusive environment in three recreation facilities to include inventory (keep studios stocked with supplies needed for training as well as replacing worn out broken equipment and expanding equipment available based on research & trends).
- Ensure clients are receiving high quality training that meets their unique individual needs, through program assessment, intake forms and client relations
- Implement the mentorship education process, consisting of 40 hours of practical hands on experience per staff member. Develop and provide continuing education in-services and workshops for personal training program staff.
- Complete all personnel-related tasks including but not limited to: recruiting, hiring, training, scheduling, disciplining, and evaluating personal trainers for continuous improvement of personal training program.
- Assist in the strategic planning for Recreational Sports programs and facilities
- Provide educational outreach, as well as serve as liaison with other university departments as assigned.
- Support all Recreational Sports Department initiatives as needed
Staff Oversight (30%):
- Provide supervision, direction, coaching and mentoring of student temporary staff (approximately 35-40 staff)
- Ensure direct reports represent the Department in a positive way
- Evaluate and provide regular (one-on-one) feedback to direct reports
- Ensure the hiring and development of student programming staff meets Department needs and goals as well as industry standards
- Ensure all staff obtain and maintain appropriate certifications and required safety training
- Manage payroll of all staff within the scope of supervision
Fiscal Oversight (10%):
- Prepare, oversee, forecast, and manage the operating budgets of areas of oversight; ensure compliance of operations with Department, Division, and University policies; work collaboratively with Departmental financial staff and the Student Life Budget and Finance. Establish and meet personal training revenue goals. Design and produce personal training reports and other analytical mechanisms in order to assist with overall analysis of the Recreational Sports operations.
- Provide departmental leadership; ensure the development of students in all areas of supervision
- Serve on committees or work teams to support the Department, Division and University; collaborate with University colleagues to represent the Department.
- Assist with the development and implementation of outreach programming, such as residential programming, FYE programming, and collaborative programs with other units on campus and within the department.
- Bachelor's degree in recreation, health, wellness, kinesiology or a related field.
- Current national personal trainer certification, ACE, ACSM, NSCA, or NASM
- Minimum 3 years experience personal training
- Minimum 2 years experience supervising personal trainers
- Minimum 2 years experience in fitness program management (creating class schedules, managing budgets and payroll, hiring processes)
- Current certifications in CPR, First Aid, and AED or the ability to obtain within six months of hire
- Master's degree in recreation, higher education, physiology, kinesiology, sports management or a related field.
- Experience in development and oversight of program budgets
- Demonstrated success in establishing and meeting revenue goals
- Experience in establishing learning outcomes and developing systems to achieve those
- Experience leading educational workshops for fitness professionals , to include knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and biomechanics
- Demonstrated success in building positive customer relations, i.e client retention, client satisfaction
- Ability to coach and communicate with several learning styles
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Sustained involvement in NIRSA or other professional associations, such as ACE, ACSM, IDEA, NSCA, etc..
- Experience with collaborative team environments and the ability to form positive relationships.
How to Apply
Please mention that you heard about this position through the National Job Finder Service located at