HealthFitness has a great new opportunity for an experienced Associate Director of Programs & Wellness at our Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) client site located in Cambridge, Massachusetts! In this role, you will report to the Director of Recreation within the Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation (DAPER), and will be responsible for the strategic development, implementation and administration of a comprehensive recreation program and wellness portfolio available to the entire MIT campus community. Recreation’s comprehensive program catalog is comprised of over 10,000 individual classes offered annually, 1-2 special events per month, and a growing portfolio of wellness related services. As the Associate Director of Programs and Wellness, you will be an advocate for Recreation’s presence as a contributing partner within the campus care network by partnering with like-minded departments to improve the student life experience. You will have direct oversight of the Fitness team which includes 3 full-time reports and 90 part-time fitness, nutrition, massage and instructional program staff. Additionally, you will be responsible for integrating program managers from all units within Recreation to establish a comprehensive and balanced program catalog that serves a diverse campus community.
The anticipated start date for this new position is going to be on or around January 7th, 2019.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Direct the development, administration, and evaluation of fitness, wellness and aquatics programs including youth and adult as well as group and private offerings.
- Ensure the planning, organization, implementation, and evaluation of programs and policies are conducted in accordance with established standards.
- Create and support a culture that promotes overall wellness in collaboration with campus partners that focuses on all elements of wellness including, but not limited to, stress management, consistent sleep, balanced nutrition, reduced anxiety, and increased resiliency.
- Facilitate small and large group wellness discussions and presentations with student organizations, departments, labs, centers, residence halls, living groups, fraternities and sororities on and off-campus.
- Provide overall leadership to Wellness Your Way, EngineerYourHealth plus, massage therapy, nutrition coaching and birthday party programs.
- Recruit, hire, train, schedule, supervise, and evaluate a diverse group of massage therapists, nutrition coaches and other wellness practitioners.
- Update and distribute operational and promotional materials directly related to all wellness programs.
- Manage and train programming staff on the use of Recreation programming software and work directly with the software company on any programming related issues and upgrades on behalf of the programming team.
- Stand in lieu of Director in handing department related matters.
- Provide effective customer service delivery and management of associated risks and liability.
- Lead program evaluation and assessment through administration of data collection and other assessment tools. Solicit student and stakeholder feedback throughout program development and evaluation.
- Develop and manage the annual staffing and operating budget within the fitness program.
- Compile and present a comprehensive monthly and annual report for revenue from all programming areas of Recreational Sports.
- Research and benchmark programming trends and opportunities for growth.
- Assist with the development of annual program strategy and event schedule, goals, and budget forecasts.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with HealthFitness policies, procedures and applicable laws including recruiting, orienting, training, evaluating, developing and planning the succession of associates. Provide training and development opportunities to promote and encourage career growth. Conduct formal performance appraisals on a quarterly basis and initiates formal performance improvement plans when warranted.
- Other duties as needed/assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Science, Health Promotion, Recreation, Business or related field.
- 5+ years of experience in collegiate recreational sports with progressive responsibilities.
- 3+ years of supervisory experience.
- CPR/AED and first aid certifications from American Heart Association or American Red Cross or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire.
- Experience in managing a comprehensive program that operates on a cost recovery basis.
- Strong leadership, team management, interpersonal and customer service skills including the ability to motivate others.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work demands.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office programs including at minimum Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of individuals both within HealthFitness and on the MIT campus.
- Master’s degree in Exercise Science, Health Promotion, Recreation, Sport’s Management, Business or related field.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.
How to Apply
Please apply on-line at https://healthfitness.com/about-us/careers or directly using this link:
If you are unable to apply on-line, you may send your resume indicating your position of interest via fax to (952) 897-5096.
HealthFitness, a subsidiary of The Trustmark Companies, is an award-winning,
URAC- and NCQA-accredited provider of health management, corporate fitness management and condition management solutions. With 35-plus years of experience, HealthFitness is a proven leader and partner for infusing a culture of health. We maximize client results through personalized interaction and a science-based approach to on-site program management, engagement and prevention. HealthFitness provides the BioVia health management product suite—health assessment, coaching for health improvement, biometric screening and the individual’s self-selected goals and social support network. For more information on HealthFitness, visit www.healthfitness.com.
Please mention that you heard about this position through the National Job Finder Service located at